- ¾ Cup blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 Cup loosely packed parsley or mint leaves, or a combination of the two
- 1 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ½ Cup bread cubes, like ciabatta or sourdough
- 5 Tbs olive oil
- About 2 lbs cucumbers (about 4)
- About 2 lbs cubed watermelon rind, pale pink and green parts, hard skin removed
- About 8 C (from 1/2 watermelon)
- 1 Tbs sherry vinegar or rice wine vinegar, more as needed
- 1 Tbs salt, more as needed
- Tip: total weight of cucumber and watermelon pieces should be 4 pounds, but it is not necessary to use precisely 2 pounds of each
- In a food processor or high-speed blender combine almonds, herbs, celery, tomatoes, garlic, bread and oil purée until smooth, and transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Cut cucumbers into chunks (if using thick-skinned cucumbers, peel and seed them first)and combine cucumbers, watermelon rind, vinegar and salt in the processor. Purée until smooth.
- Add to the other purée and whisk/blend together well.
- Add more salt and vinegar if desired. Chill for at least two hours before serving.