- Stems from 1 bunch broccoli
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling spice
- 1 bay leaf
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Peel the broccoli stems and slice them into 1/2-inch-thick coins (or oddball shapes--just keep them all about the same size). Blanch them in the boiling water until fork-tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Cool them in ice water; drain.
- Bring the vinegar, salt, sugar, pickling spice, bay leaf, lemon zest and juice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Pour over the broccoli and let cool.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.