- Natural fabric like cotton, cheesecloth, or silk
- Around 3-4 tablespoons of turmeric powder
- About a cup of white vinegar
- 4 liters of water
- Fold/roll/scrunch the fabric and wrap with rubber bands or string to make patterns in it. If you like straight lines you could fold it neatly and use pegs and stuff to make a more shibori style design. Or you could just scrunch it up wildly, wrap it up, and see what happens!
- Soak the fabric so it’s thoroughly wet. This will help it absorb the dye better.
- Fill a saucepan with water, add turmeric and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Once water is boiling add the fabric.
- Boil until the fabric is the color you would like it.
- Take the fabric out of the saucepan, run under cold water and then unwrap. This is the fun bit, its kind of like opening a present!