Using watermelon rinds to make a side dish for large meals like Dinner/lunch/ or heck, even breakfast, if you feel like it!
- 1 cup of shredded/diced watermelon rinds
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 4 or 5 green chili peppers (you can adjust this according to spice tolerance)
- 1 tsp of salt (adjust this according to taste while cooking)
- 1.5 tbsp. of oil (vegetable, canola, olive, etc...)
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Prepare watermelon rinds by peeling off the green skin from the white outer shell, you can compost the skin as a green nutrient.
- Then shred or dice your now peeled watermelon rinds
- Wash shredded/diced watermelon rinds carefully, make sure to wash it well.
- Drain them well using a cheesecloth or squeezing bunches until all are dry.
- Dice 1 large onion and slice 4 or 5 green chili peppers into small pieces.
- Prepare a pan with 1.5 tbsp. of oil over medium heat.
- nce heated, add diced onions
- Stir them until they are golden brown.
- Then, pour in the watermelon rinds into the mixture followed by 1 tsp. of salt (adjust to taste if needed).
- Let it cook and stir occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Once the rinds have softened or become partially transparent, pour in the green chili peppers into the mixture.
- Beat 1 large egg and pour over the mixture and stir to distribute it.
- Cook for 5 mins, stirring in between to make sure it is mixed and cooked evenly.
- Before preparing, rip coriander leaves and sprinkle over the mixture (optional, but adds flavor).
Save watermelon seeds and dry them to make a cool DIY craft project